Either a buccal (cheek) swab sample or a blood sample is needed for dog and other animal DNA tests.
How to Take a Buccal Cell DNA Sample
You can get buccal swab test kits when placing an order on our website. Or you can also order test kits by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Testing requires two buccal swab samples per animal.
Before collecting the sample, make sure that animal’s mouth is as clean as possible to avoid contamination with bacteria and other foreign DNA, for example, from other dogs or cats in the same household.
- Open the package and set it aside. You'll need it again later.
- Place the buccal swab between the dog’s buccal surface and the gingiva and brush the buccal surface firmly for about 15 seconds. You need to apply some pressure to make sure the cheek cells will stick to the swab. The color of the swab will not change after sampling.
- Air-dry the swabs for at least 15 minutes. This step is important, because wet swabs are susceptible to contamination.
- Place the swabs back in their original package and close it with tape.
- Write the animal's name and register number on the cover of the package. Please also send a sampling information form/printable order summary with the samples. We need both the owner’s contact details and the animal information.
- Ship the samples to Genoscoper Laboratories (PL 1040, FI-00251 Helsinki, FINLAND). If it's not possible to send the samples right away, they can be stored in a fridge for a few days.
A blood sample should be taken by a veterinarian or a person authorized to take blood samples. The sample should be shipped to us along with the completed sampling information form.
- Collect around 0.5-3 ml of the animal's blood in a tube containing EDTA (obtainable from your veterinarian). Invert the tube several times to mix the EDTA with the blood to prevent any clotting.
- Keep the sample in the refrigerator until shipped (preferable shipping days are Mondays and Tuesdays). Do not freeze the samples. If possible, do not store the sample for many days before sending unless the sample was collected before the weekend.
- Wrap the sample tube carefully in soft tissues or paper to prevent breakage during shipment.